Our Seaplane Rating course is offered from May until September. The aircraft is based at the Crookston Municipal Kirkwood Field (KCKN), and training is conducted on Maple, Oak, and Union Lakes. Training can take anywhere from 5-12 hours of flight time depending on proficiency. This can take between one to three weeks based on student availability, DPE availability, and weather.
Requirements & Cost
You do not need to be a degree-seeking student to take the Seaplane Rating course.
- You must be either enrolled at, or employed by, the University of North Dakota.
- Financial aid is available to UND students. Contact us for more information. College credit is available. Contact us for more information.
- Current UND Aerospace instructors are able to take the course; however, there is no staff rate available at this time. Please contact us for current pricing.
Flight Operation Topics
- Preflight and postflight procedures
- Surveying landing sites
- Normal, glassy water, rough water, crosswind, and confined area takeoff and landings
- Emergency power-off landings
- Step taxi and turns
- Plow turns
- Displaced taxi and turns
- Securing the aircraft
- Mooring, sailing, and docking